Pages

Tuesday, February 09, 2016

You're not going to shake.

Gigantic picture.

I just had this weird memory of being a kid and playing with an Etch-a-Sketch. And getting to a point where I really couldn't draw anything. I couldn't illustrate an idea or portray an image. So I started dragging the little points across the entire screen. I cleared the entire screen of all that weird silver film. And the more I cleared it, the more I could see the way the toy worked, the way it was just two (four?) pipes that moved a "pen" back and forth. And I feel like that was one of those moments where I started to feel less like a kid and more like just someone who knew that at some point you could see the insides of everything. That you could see the cameras in reflections. That teachers went home to a real life. Not all at once, obviously. That moment wasn't a breakthrough. But it's an element of a myriad of others that was.

No comments: